[Zope3-dev] RFC: zopeproject

Maciej Wisniowski maciej.wisniowski at coig.katowice.pl
Wed Jul 18 16:34:57 EDT 2007

> I will add this to the zopeproject docs. I wonder:
>
> * Would it help if the 'myzopeapp' package would not be in the top-level
> MyZopeApp directory, but in a 'src' directory below MyZopeApp? Would
> that make it clearer where to go?
>
> * grokproject actually also creates a "hello world" browser page. That
> way there's some initial code there and people might know better where
> to go in and change stuff. Would that help? Or would that be too much
> unnecessary boilerplate?
For me, second approach is more clear but even simple README.txt,
located at new project's folder, with description of next steps, should
be enough.

>> 2. Is this kind of setup (I mean using zopeproject) supposed to be
>> used to deploy applications in production environments?
>
> It certainly can be used for deployment, though you'll probably want to
> make some changes to the configuration files before you deploy (rip out
> the administrator account, deactivate developer mode, etc.). Again, this
> is a good question that should be answered in the zopeproject docs.
Would be nice to have this kind of description, especially
that a lot of people is not familiar with Paste (I think so). For
example I was looking for something like zopectl start|stop|restart. I
don't know so far how to do it (I did not read Paste docs yet - do I
really have to? ;) ).

> This is interesting. I can reproduce this.
Good to know that I'm not alone with this :)

One more thing that is rather about 'death to zope instances' not
zopeproject itself is that that so far it was possible and easy to have
one Zope serving few different apps. With new way seems that instance is
bound to application.
This may be a pain if you have to pay for hosting. Usually there are
serious restrictions to number of long running processes (like Zope) you
may have (e.g. Webfaction hosting).

--
Maciej Wisniowski