[Zope3-dev] RFC: zopeproject

Philipp von Weitershausen philipp at weitershausen.de
Thu Jul 19 18:46:56 EDT 2007

On 18 Jul 2007, at 19:25 , Kent Tenney wrote:
> on my W2K machine
>> zopeproject MyZopeProject
>
> fails because I don't have Visual Studio installed and it wants
> to compile extensions for ZODB

Right. Something seems to depend on ZODB 3.9.0-xyz now and we have no
binary for that (yet). Sadly enough, I recently asked Jim to make
Windows eggs and they've all become useless because at least half of
the packages now have newer releases (which buildout insists on using).

> I've heard that mingw can substitute, but I've never succeeded in
> configuring it.

Well, I managed to install it (you need cygwin, then install the gcc-
mingw-core package from the 'devel' section). And with 'python
setup.py build -c mingw32', it seems I can even build Windows eggs,
though I can't get them to work. I get some a DLL error ("Access
denied.")

What's more, there seems to be now way to tell zc.buildout to pass
the '-c mingw32' option to setup.py when building eggs.

I wonder, if done correctly (and I believe some people, e.g. Andreas
Jung, have managed to get mingw to build binary eggs for them), are
mingw-based eggs any worse than Visual C ones?

If not, then there's a good chance that we can actually get a setup
for Windows people that won't require Jim or Adam having to build
Windows eggs all the time.