[Zope3-dev] cutting away dependencies

Jim Fulton jim at zope.com
Fri Jun 15 13:00:24 EDT 2007

On Jun 15, 2007, at 12:33 PM, Martijn Faassen wrote:
> These looks like dependencies that should only pull in a few more
> packages at most. Unfortunately this is not the case. zope.tal
> somehow ends up depending on, say, zope.dublincore and
> zope.lifecycleevent, zope.app.publisher, zope.formlib, and a total
> of about 60 dependencies. The story is very similar for
> zope.fssync. You'd not think the basic page template interpreter
> should have a dependency on formlib.
>
> Do we have a plan for unweaving these dependencies?

Um. Plan ... um.  Yes, "we need to unscrew these dependencies."  :)

Seriously, we do need to work on this.  Unfortunately, for years,
reducing dependencies was not much of a goal due to our large
"batteries included" distribution.  As a result, packages became
interdependent in undesireable ways.

A good example is zope.component.  There's a zope.component.zcml
module that basically pulls in all of
Zope 3. :)  We shouldn't have moved that module into zope.component.
Oh well. 20/20 hindsight...

In the long run, I think we'll need to remove a lot of junk from some
critical packages.  We could use extras as I did in in desperation
for zope.component.  I don't like extras in general, but maybe they
are the best way to deal with some of our historical interdependencies.

CTO 				(540) 361-1714			http://www.python.org