AW: [Zope3-dev] deprecate ++etc++site/default?

Christian Theune ct at gocept.com
Tue Jun 19 12:55:35 EDT 2007

Hi,

Am Dienstag, den 19.06.2007, 18:18 +0200 schrieb Roger Ineichen:
> Hi Christian
>
> > Betreff: [Zope3-dev] deprecate ++etc++site/default?
> >
> > Hi there,
> >
> > as far as I am informed it's no longer suggested to put
> > utilities etc.
> > into the default package since the whole package mechanism
> > was not the right idea.
>
> Who informed you about that? Is there a proposal for that?

Me. I derive this from
http://wiki.zope.org/zope3/LocalComponentManagementSimplification which
also states that we will continue to support site-management folders
although the italic `if desired` hints that this isn't the preferred
choice.

I can't remember who I talked to about this who pointed out to me that,
in most cases, you don't have to care about the `default` folder and can
put the utilities that you don't want in content space just directly
into the site manager.

Due to that I don't see a reason for a `default` site-management folder
inside the site manager. I never had the use-case for more than one
package, but I'm also somewhat unsure what they really are about.

I just re-read the doctests in zope.app.component and they only talk
about the mechanics of the site managers and site-management folders.
They give a vague hint that they can be used to "logically organize your
software". I don't think I'm going to "organize" my software in the
ZODB, so I'm a bit puzzled at what that means.

> > One point to change would be zope.app.appsetup.addUtility
> > which puts the utilities into the default package. It should
> > add the utilities directly to the site manager.
> >
> > What are the oppinions here?
>
> What is the benefit for that, or what is wrong with the
> existing setup?

I think if we don't have a reason to use something like the `default`
package then it shouldn't be there. It feels like a dead chicken and I
don't like (digital) dead chickens. ;)

Christian