[Zope3-dev] package branches

Bernd Dorn bernd.dorn at lovelysystems.com
Wed Jun 27 02:30:47 EDT 2007

On 26.06.2007, at 21:44, Gary Poster wrote:

> On Jun 26, 2007, at 3:29 PM, Bernd Dorn wrote:

>>> Yes. And if you're at it, I'd welcome if you'd switch the tree's
>>> trunk
>>> to use that branch. :)
>>>
>>> The trunk's setup.py of the satellite should either be 3.5.0a1 or
>>> 3.5.0.
>>
>> i think as long the package has a dev dependency like ZODB 3.9 it
>> should at least have alpha or beta status
>
> Hi Bernd.
>
> Why?

because it pulls in software that has development status like zodb
3.9 and the release of 3.9 will take at least a half a year from now
on imho.

>> gary, is it possible to be compatible to 3.8 too?
>
> Not productively.  We could have "if the PersistentReference
> doesn't have the 3.9 stuff then just refuse to do a ConflictError"
> but then that's no different that the keyreference 3.4 behavior.
> Heh, actually, that's effectively the behavior we probably have now
> for keyreference 3.5dev running against ZODB 3.8, since errors in
> the conflict resolution will simply cause the resolution to fail,
> and the 3.5dev changes would generate AttributeErrors against ZODB
> 3.8 during conflict resolution.
>
> So...it would be a bit of a lie to claim to be compatible with
> 3.8.  The changes are useless without the 3.9 changes.  But the
> code *should* technically work with the same restrictions we have
> now.  That said, I don't really want to support the changes against
> 3.8.
>
> ...I could move the releases to our ZC download location, rather
> than the zope.org one, if folks want...

i don't think that this is a good idea, for example our company uses
both of the download locations

> What's the problem?  I'm happy to help, especially if it doesn't
> take too much time, and you can wait a day or two.

ok, i think if another new feature is implemented in keyreference and
we want this feature for zodb3.8 we have to do a version inbetween,
so if you call this a 3.5 release, what should that other version
be?  3.6

we use egg based releases and if you hardcode the zodb 3.9 dependency
in setup.py we have to switch to zodb3.9 just because of that package
if we want to use a new feature of it

maybe i am anticipating here and it's best to make it zodb 3.8
compatible when we need a newer version of keyreference for some
reason. the problem with this is, that we (zope committers) can do
this, but another company may not be able to change the package.