[Zope3-dev] Re: Google Summer of Code

Philipp von Weitershausen philipp at weitershausen.de
Mon Mar 5 16:44:29 EST 2007

Douglas Douglas wrote:
> --- Philipp von Weitershausen <philipp at weitershausen.de> wrote:
>
>>     If a student should get accepted for one of those projects, it will
>>     obviously make a lot of sense if the person who suggested the project
>>     would mentor him/her.
>>

> Hi everybody.
>
> I was wondering what's needed for a undergraduate student to be accepted for
> one of those Zope 3 project. What level of skills are needed? Is it enough if I
> can build an application "using" Zope 3 from scratch? Or do I need to know very
> well the low level parts of Zope 3 (like my hand's palm).

You should be solid with Python and Zope 3. Things like the Component
Architecture, ZCML, ZODB, etc. shouldn't be a mystery to you.

However you will be hacking Zope 3 itself, so the more you know about
Zope 3's internals, the better. Also, I'll predict that most of the
suggested projects will end up involving some other 3rd party Python
technology (paste.deploy, eggs, ...). Knowing whichever technology is
involved into your project should be a requirement as well (at least if
you don't want to spend too much time on learning about them but instead
participate in the initial design phase, which we'd certainly like to
involve you in!)

Next Zope 3 training at Camp5: http://trizpug.org/boot-camp/camp5