[Zope3-dev] IKeyReference for files

Uwe Oestermeier u.oestermeier at iwm-kmrc.de
Tue Mar 27 15:40:11 EDT 2007

Martijn Faassen <faassen at startifact.com> schreibt:
>Now I'm hoping I'm missing some kind of strategy and perhaps someone
>will have a luminous idea to make this work without the creation of a
>separate index. Or if not, at least I can give up looking and just go
>and write that index. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Hi Martijn,

I have experimented with the inodes of files, which are a good candidate
for IKeyReferences for files. Using inodes solves the problem that the ids
should remain stable across moves. They are also a good basis for a
detection of moves which happen outside the control of Zope.

The problem that a lookup requires a directory walk can perhaps be reduced
if one keeps hard links to the target files in a separate directory. If
the hard links use the ids as filenames one could efficiently access the
file contents without search.

I have never tested this idea, but perhaps it may be worth a try.

Regards,
Uwe

Dr. Uwe Oestermeier
Institut für Wissensmedien