[Zope3-dev] Re: Eggs for deprecated packages

Martin Aspeli optilude at gmx.net
Thu Mar 29 15:51:42 EDT 2007

Jim Fulton wrote:
> On Mar 29, 2007, at 6:30 AM, Baiju M wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>>   There are few deprecated packages in zope.app namespace, should we
>> create individual eggs for those packages ?
>
> Yes.
>
>> What about creating a single egg with all deprecated packges ?
>
> -1.  We should be able to create the deprecated eggs once and forget
> about them.

One possible benefit of having all deprecated things grouped somehow
(perhaps not necessarily in one egg, what about having a BBB "virtual
egg" that has dependencies on all the deprecated things?) is that it
makes it easier for developers to test the effects of deprecation on
their code.

For example, the standard Zope 3 distribution could come with this egg
not installed or not activated. If your code breaks on upgrade, you try
to install/activate the deprecated egg, in which case you know you'll
need to do something about your code, soonishly.

Alternatively, it comes installed but you try to remove it to see if
your package will survive the next version upgrade.

We do similar things with skins in Plone, having a skin layer called
plone_deprecated.

Martin