[Zope3-dev] [URGENT] Organising the satellite projects, eggs and version numbers before beta today

Fred Drake fdrake at gmail.com
Thu May 3 09:30:34 EDT 2007

On 5/3/07, Christian Theune <ct at gocept.com> wrote:
> I might have stated my goals the wrong way. I find it valuable to be
> able to predict which exact versions of things "get pulled in" from a
> buildout.

Me too; that's very, very, very important to me.

> The current way that dependencies are declared is that when I run
> buildout in a year I'll get the zope.app.publication-3.5dev-r122 egg
> on a stable application. I don't want that. I want to again and again
> and again get the 3.4 egg of zope.app.publication because those eggs
> where tested together.
>
> OTOH. I'm just remembering that Jim talked about some `freeze` feature
> for buildout ... is that what I seem to want to tackle this issue? ;)

Jim's already implemented a "versions" feature in zc.buildout, and I
find it immensely helpful.

You can set buildout:versions to the name of a section that contains
version requirements.  Each of those requirements is for an exact
version.  For example:

  --------------------------
  [buildout]
  versions = versions

  [versions]
  feedparser = 4.1

When I build this, I get feedparser 4.1 exactly; no other version will show up.

I generally "nail down" every version in my buildouts (including
buildout recipes), except for software that I'm specifically choosing
to track development for (usually application-related), and for
deployments, I nail those down as well.

  -Fred