[Zope3-dev] Re: tracking satellite project's trunks

Tres Seaver tseaver at palladion.com
Thu May 3 18:23:37 EDT 2007

Christian Theune wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Am Donnerstag, den 03.05.2007, 13:18 -0400 schrieb Tres Seaver:
>>
>> Fred Drake wrote:

>>> Probably my fault; I've become really wary of externals that aren't specific.
>>>
>>> Frankly, I don't *really* care how the Zope 3 tree refers to satellite
>>> projects.  My hope is that I can very quickly get away from ever
>>> looking at the Zope 3 conglomeration (checkout or release), and only
>>> use the satellite projects.
>>>
>>> Conversely, I care very much about the satellite projects not
>>> referring to the Zope 3 tree, and look forward to what you're working
>>> on today.
>> When a truly egg-based Zope3 ships, it should be a meta-egg with
>> explicitly-versioned dependencies.
>>
>> Approximating that in tree would be to have the Zope3 tree point at
>> *tagged releases* of the satellite projects;  revision-stamped versions
>> are a poor (but acceptable in the near-term) substitute.
>
> Same here. I'm feeling like I'm not yet understanding what the trunk
> will be used like.
>
>> Tracking the trunk of any dependency is not acceptable:
>> it undoes the reason for
>> moving the projects out-of-tree in the first place.  If we aren't going
>> to do release management on the pieces, then for sanity's sake keep them
>> in-tree.
>>
>> Plone's own trunk-based bundles are living proof of the hell that is
>> caused by having svn:externals point at non-frozen dependencies.
>
> Ah. I don't have any experience with those. What would the trunk of the
> Zope 3 tree look like then during development cycles? When do updates on
> the externals in the Zope 3 trunk happen?

Typically whenever somebody who knows both "decides" that the satellite
has changes which need pulling into Z3;  at the latest, they get updated
when doing a Z3 release, I would guess.  This is like what happens now
with ZODB, etc., or with Zope3 as an external in Zope2.

I think we are headed to a place where much less "trunk-like"
development, except for things which have not yet (or maybe ever) been
spun off into satellite projects.

Tres.
- --
Tres Seaver          +1 540-429-0999          tseaver at palladion.com