[Zope3-dev] zope.app.twisted.main and zope multiservice

Martijn Pieters mj at zopatista.com
Tue May 8 11:31:28 EDT 2007

On 5/8/07, David Pratt <fairwinds at eastlink.ca> wrote:
> Hi Martijn. Thanks again for your reply. I do understand the
> multiservice, however I feel is a shame that configure information in my
> zope.conf for any of the built-in server types would not result in my
> having control over these services following bootstrapping. It does not
> need to be this way. :-(

Right, it seems I misunderstood. You want to be able to control
services not created by you, but by the existing codebase in
zope.app.twisted. That is a very legit usecase. :)

I hadn't thought of that angle, this sounds like something worthy of
putting into the Zope3 bugtracker. Registering the multiservice as a
utility would solve this usecase.

> I acknowledge that this is not a prerequisite to twisted development in
> zope. I am working with twisted as it is. My apologies if it seems that
> I have communicated it this way. It would add convenience to facilitate
> methods on the services in a single service container for the instance
> as a whole. I should be able to obtain from my instance what services it
> is currently running, give me an iterator of the services, check the
> status of any service generally, start this service, stop that service,
> add this one or drop that other one. This is better in my view - it
> would also provide simple infrastructure for integration for applications.

Right, access to the multiservice would give you that, it is an iterator.

--
Martijn Pieters