[Zope3-dev] 3.3.0 tag broken by zc.catalog eggs?

Gary Poster gary at zope.com
Sun May 20 20:11:57 EDT 2007

On May 19, 2007, at 12:22 PM, Paul Carduner wrote:

> Upon a fresh checkout and make of the 3.3.0 tag of Zope3, I get the
> following error:
>
> Installed /home/pcardune/work/cando-2006/SchoolTool/Zope3/src/
> zc.i18n-0.6.1dev_r72454-py2.4.egg
> error: Installed distribution zc.catalog 1.2dev-r74943 conflicts with
> requirement zc.catalog==0.1.1
>
> I noticed that it installed the later zc.catalog version with
> hurry.query
>
> Installed /home/pcardune/work/cando-2006/SchoolTool/Zope3/src/
> hurry.query-0.9.1-py2.4.egg
> Searching for zc.catalog>=0.1
> Best match: zc.catalog 1.2dev-r74943
> Downloading http://download.zope.org/distribution/
> zc.catalog-1.2dev_r74943-py2.4.egg
>

> It seems like it is installing zc.catalog-1.2dev_r74943-py2.4.egg
> before processing all the dependencies.
>
> I'm running Feisty + python2.4.
>
> Any suggestions would be very helpful.

FWIW, I know zc.catalog but I'm certainly not an egg expert.  But
this message looks like you are maybe sharing a Python for various
installations.  Are you maybe using your system Python?  Generally
not advised for development work...try a standalone one?

To be clear, no release of standalone Zope 3 relies on zc.catalog; it
is very, very unlikely to be breaking the Zope 3.3 release or any
other.  Also, the zc.i18n is a red herring; that doesn't have any
dependencies on zc.catalog.

In sum, yes, you have a problem, but I don't think it is inherently
with zc.catalog.  The standalone Python is the only idea I have off
the top of my head.

Gary