[Zope3-dev] Re: System python for *development*? (Was: 3.3.0 tag broken by zc.catalog eggs?)

Reinoud van Leeuwen reinoud.v at n.leeuwen.net
Mon May 21 10:44:41 EDT 2007

On Mon, May 21, 2007 at 10:39:22AM -0400, Fred Drake wrote:
> On 5/21/07, Gary Poster <gary at zope.com> wrote:
> >I then
> >feel comfortable sharing the dev Python across builds because I know
> >it is clean.
>
> The stuff that gets installed in the system Python's is usually not an
> issue for Zope applications (I've never had a Zope-related issue with
> those things), but I always use a clean Python just to be safe in case
> something odd gets added to the system Python.  Ubuntu and the various
> RedHat-derived systems (Fedora, CentOS) add enough to the system
> Python that I'd rather avoid them for applications regardless.

I think developers and system- or application maintainers have different
viewpoints in this.

As a developer it might be a good idea to have different installed pythons
in different environments to be sure that some modules (or python itself)
meet different requirements.

But as system maintainer I like to keep things simple. I do not want
similar trees of python installations all over the place if it can
be avoided.

"Nothing is as subjective as reality"
Reinoud van Leeuwen    reinoud.v at n.leeuwen.net
http://www.xs4all.nl/~reinoud