[Zope3-dev] Re: System python for *development*? (Was: 3.3.0 tag broken by zc.catalog eggs?)

Max M maxm at mxm.dk
Mon May 21 13:10:14 EDT 2007

Philipp von Weitershausen skrev:
> Martijn Pieters wrote:
>> On 5/21/07, Gary Poster <gary at zope.com> wrote:
>>> FWIW, I know zc.catalog but I'm certainly not an egg expert.  But
>>> this message looks like you are maybe sharing a Python for various
>>> installations.  Are you maybe using your system Python?  Generally
>>> not advised for development work...try a standalone one?
>>
>> Come again? Using the system python when developing has always been
>> fine; the recommendation has only applied to deployment situations in
>> the past. The point is that using a manual, dedicated build for a
>> deployment gives you full control over tweaking that build for best
>> performance without interfering with other users of the interpreter on
>> the same system.

There are more things to this.

I typically have customers with lots of small one-off Plone sites
running on different versions of zope/plone.

2-5 versions of python is not uncommon on these servers.

For that reason I typically use a structure of:

/home/zope/pythons
/home/zope/zopes
/home/zope/instances

That way I can have many pythons and zope versions on the same server
without problems, and looking in /home/zope gives me a good idea of what
is installed.

--

hilsen/regards Max M, Denmark

http://www.mxm.dk/