[Zope3-dev] Re: System python for *development*? (Was: 3.3.0 tag broken by zc.catalog eggs?)

Brian Sutherland jinty at web.de
Wed May 23 18:10:58 EDT 2007

On Wed, May 23, 2007 at 09:37:33AM +0200, Philipp von Weitershausen wrote:
>  Marius Gedminas wrote:
> >> No. It has never been fine for any aspect of development.  If you  develop
> >> with your system Python and deploy with a custom environment,  then you've
> >> added a variable that is different between the two  environments.  Also,
> >> system Python's are often hobbled in ways that  hurt development.
> >>
> >> I sometimes get really weird error reports that are traced to system
> >> Pythons.  People who report problems to me that result from using a
> >> system Python make me angry and make me want to not answer their
> >> questions or otherwise help them any more.
> > I'd love to hear some anecdotes about this.  The ones I know about:
> >   * distros releasing newer point versions of Python with security fixes
> >     (cgi.FieldStorage) that break Zope 3
>
>  I consider that a major show-stopper. An innocent "apt-get upgrade" pulls in
>  Python 2.4.4c0 and all of a sudden all your Zope apps break! Well not mine,
>  I use self-compiled Pythons for my production servers...

Was that a security update to a "released" version? Otherwise it's not
so innocent for a production system;)

btw, in future, it is planned to integrate the zope3 tests with
autopkgtest, http://packages.debian.org/unstable/devel/autopkgtest.

Which should mean that this kind of breakage will happen less as
autopkgtest basically is running the tests of installed packages on
installed packages.

--
Brian Sutherland