[Zope3-dev] Re: Splitting package configuration

Martin Aspeli optilude at gmx.net
Fri May 25 15:18:14 EDT 2007

Stephan Richter wrote:
> On Wednesday 23 May 2007 12:24, Fred Drake wrote:
>> "Official story" doesn't mean a lot to me these days.  I think of
>> individual ZCML files as interface points: someone might reasonably be
>> using them directly (unless the filename starts with an underscore).
>
> But you are describing the internal ZC thinking here, certainly not something
> that has been widely or publically communicated. There are very few people
> out there using eggs.

Perhaps that should change? :)

I'm quite concerned that the "use-the-eggs-as-needed" approach, taken to
its full potential means no synchronised releases and ultimately degrade
the "library user experience" (how do you know where to start? how do
you know what works with what?) for those not already experienced with
Zope 3.

However, eggs are great. They make it much easier to manage your
dependencies. Things like entry points and egg script wrappers are very
powerful. The Cheese Shop as a way of making releases is really pain
free and much more conducive to making frequent releases. We've embraced
eggs in a big way for Plone 3, and found the experience generally very
postive.

> Most download a release, create an instance and drop
> the add-on packages in there, some using SETUP.cfg and others
> creating/copying the slugs by hand.

FWIW, I've found it tricky to use things like z3c.widgets (or more
accurately, a part of z3c.widgets, but that's a different story) because
there was no egg to find, download and let buildout install for me.

Martin

--
Acquisition is a jealous mistress