[Zope3-dev] Re: egg version numbers and zope releases

Jim Fulton jim at zope.com
Wed May 30 10:56:13 EDT 2007

On May 30, 2007, at 9:02 AM, Bernd Dorn wrote:

> Hi all
>
> As already discussed in former topics on this list, we have some
> outstanding decisions regarding to version numbers in zope* packages.

I think this is resolved.  The version numbers of any package that
has it's own source tree are free to change according to the
following rules:

- the version numbers increase

- We follow the version number rules.  The rules are:

   - The last (right-most) number is for bug fixes

   - The second-last number is for feature changes.

- IMO, backward incompatibility, and therefore, deprecation, is no-
longer an option.

An open question in my mind is whether we should use 2 numbers or 3.
But maybe that should be a different thread. :)

> Currently nearly all package versions are at 3.4.0b1, which is a
> big pain when needing to update a package.

Yup.

> For example:
>
> We have a small change in zope.app.session
> The version is at 3.4.0b1
> Now we want to upload a new source distribution to download.zope.org
>
> What version number should be used?

Is the small change a feature change? Or a bug fix?

> Would be nice if we had given virgin version numbers to packages
> such as 1.0.

It's too late.  I also don't think it matters what the version
numbers are as long as they are free to increase as needed/

> If we now have an update, we need to use something like 3.4.1 and
> users may think this version is in sync with zope versions.

<shrug>  They'll learn that that isn't the case.

> It is additionally odd, because of the fact that zope 3.4 will not
> be an egg based release.

<shrug>

> Our questions:
>
> Would it be possible to revert the revision numbers to 1.0 (we
> think if they are not in pypi and only on download.zope.org we can
> delete the releases from there)

No.

> If we cannot go back to 1.0, what shall we use for intermediate
> releases?

Just follow the rules. For bug fixes, increment the last digit, or,
if the current release is 3.4.0b1, then go for 3.4.0.  For smaller
packages. I doubt that alpha and beta releases are needed. For larger
more complicated packages, like ZODB, they still probably are.

For feature releases, increement th second last number.

> It would be nice if we (at least jodok, me (dobe), juergen,
> christian theuni, jim) can discuss this in berlin and maybe write a
> proposal on how to set versions correctly for various cases.

I don't think that is needed.  The key is that the version numbers
are now free. :)
"You're free zope.app.session. Fly!"

CTO 				(540) 361-1714			http://www.python.org