[Zope3-dev] Re: egg version numbers and zope releases

Bernd Dorn bernd.dorn at lovelysystems.com
Wed May 30 14:11:37 EDT 2007

On 30.05.2007, at 19:23, Jim Fulton wrote:

> It's actually worse than that.  <2.0 would admit 2.0a1. :)  You'd
> probably need something like < 1.99.
>
> Even if developers remembered, it would be icky to have to spell
> out  something like >=3.4 <=3.99 on everwhere.
>
> Using foo2 essentially embeds the major version in the package
> name, which doesn't seem so bad to me.
>
> Maybe there is some kind of dependency syntax that reads well that
> means "I want this major version".  Can you think of a syntax that
> is actually nicer than foo2?

maybe it's a good idea to use the same pattern as other distribution/
packaging systems.

so foo2 or even foo21 is ok if you compare it to the name 'python24'
in macports or ubuntu

so that means that any incompatible version results in a new package
name, so one could be shure to have a compatible version of deps e.g.
using things like zope.interface.20 without any version restrictions.