[Zope3-dev] Re: egg version numbers and zope releases

Benji York benji at zope.com
Wed May 30 15:12:02 EDT 2007

Jim Fulton wrote:
> It's actually worse than that.  <2.0 would admit 2.0a1. :)  You'd
> probably need something like < 1.99.

I can deal with spelling dependencies on major version X as <= X.999.

> Even if developers remembered, it would be icky to have to spell out
> something like >=3.4 <=3.99 on everwhere.

Not as icky (IMHO) as having distribution names with embedded major
version numbers.  I'm interested in other people's opinions here.

> Maybe there is some kind of dependency syntax that reads well that
> means "I want this major version".  Can you think of a syntax that is
> actually nicer than foo2?

I can think of a syntax, but don't know if setuptools supports it.
Perhaps I should look that up.  But I wont.
--
Benji York
Senior Software Engineer