[Zope3-dev] Re: egg version numbers and zope releases

Bernd Dorn bernd.dorn at lovelysystems.com
Thu May 31 01:44:25 EDT 2007

On 30.05.2007, at 20:20, Jim Fulton wrote:

>> maybe it's a good idea to use the same pattern as other
>> distribution/packaging systems.
>>
>> so foo2 or even foo21 is ok if you compare it to the name
>> 'python24' in macports or ubuntu
>>
>> so that means that any incompatible version results in a new
>> package name, so one could be shure to have a compatible version
>> of deps e.g. using things like zope.interface.20 without any
>> version restrictions.
>
> I'm not sure what you are suggesting with the zope.interface.20
> example.  Are you suggesting that this is the twentieth backward-
> incompatible version of zope.interface?  Or that this combines a
> major and minor version number?

the latter ... but after reading through the thread and thinking
twice about it, i think that this would not make much sence. it only
might be usefull if e.g foo1 and foo2 could live in the same python
process (like pythons2.3 and python2.4 can be installed at once)
which is not the case.

i'd rather stick with the explicit > 2.0 < 2.99 solution