[Zope3-dev] Re: How to deal with major versions?

Chris Withers chris at simplistix.co.uk
Thu May 31 04:04:30 EDT 2007

Jim Fulton wrote:

> I don't see how this helps one say that they want to depend on a minimum
> version of a major version.  That is, how does it prevent dependencies
> like:
>
>     foo >=1.0 <1.999
>
> ?
>
> I'm wondering how Gentoo got *that* right.

I wonder if the package should have something in it's setup.py that says
"I won't be compatible with anything expecting version" <2.0 ?

This would end up as metadata on pypi or in the egg/.tar.gz and
setuptools could do the "hard work" of resolving the dependencies...

It also removes the burden of specifying maximum revision numbers on the
consuming packages and puts it where it belongs: on the maintainer of
the package who knows if it's going to be backwards compatible or not..

cheers,

Chris

            - http://www.simplistix.co.uk