[Zope3-dev] Re: New package zc.configure provides an exclude directive for excluding zcml files

Philipp von Weitershausen philipp at weitershausen.de
Tue Oct 2 17:23:28 EDT 2007

Jim Fulton wrote:
> On Oct 2, 2007, at 3:29 AM, Martijn Faassen wrote:
>
>> Jim Fulton wrote:
>>
>> [snip]
>>> Maybe grok was already trimmed down.  In my case, I basically
>>> eliminated all ZMI support (since I didn't need it).  I got about 40%,
>>
>> Grok is trimmed down in the sense that it doesn't depend on all Zope 3
>> packages, though due to the interesting dependency structure it still
>> relies on about 100 eggs. We didn't do any trimming down of ZMI support.
>
> Note that it wasn't my goal to trim the number of eggs I got, although
> trimming that, or, in theory, using zipped eggs would speed startup as
> well.  I'm using the zope.app.zcmlfiles egg as my base.
>
>> Would it be possible to get a list of exclude statements that you use
>> to eliminate ZMI support in your project? I imagine our list is far
>> from complete.
>
> Here is the zcml file I'm including rather than incliding
> zope.app.zcmlfiles/configure.zcml:
[snip]

+1 to that approach. I think in the long term, egg-based Zope
application should want to get away from zope.app.zcmlfiles In
particular, zope.app.zcmfiles is the epitome of the ZMI app: it loads
all the browser stuff and configures the zmi_actions + zmi_views menu.

Not loading zope.app.zcmlfiles but instead selectively loading only the
stuff we need will likely reduce the ZCML processing time as well.

Death to zope.app.zcmlfiles!