[Zope3-dev] Re: [Zope-dev] I'd lobe to merge the zope3-dev and zope-dev lists

Martin Aspeli optilude at gmx.net
Thu Oct 4 14:49:10 EDT 2007

Michael R. Bernstein wrote:
> On Thu, 2007-10-04 at 19:32 +0530, Baiju M wrote:
>> Jim Fulton wrote:
>>>  Any objections?
>>>
>>>  This would basically involve retiring the zope3-dev list and moving
>>>  zope3 developers to the zope-dev list.
>> +1
>>
>> What about retiring #zope3-dev IRC channel and only using #zope ?
>
> No. #zope is roughly the equivalent of the main zope list. There is no
> #zope-dev channel.
>
> Now, someone might suggest that the zope3-users list should be merged
> with the main zope list, but that someone wouldn't be me. At least not
> as long as there are separate releases being made.

In Plone, we have a -user and -dev list, and a single chatroom, #plone.
We do have #plone-framework for the framework team and release manager,
but this is much quieter and everyone who's in #plone-framework is also
in #plone.

Obviously, this is about preference, but we find that having everyone in
the same chatroom helps keep people in touch. Reading multiple mailing
lists is not so hard - paying attention to multiple chatrooms at once
is, and a -user room is pretty much useless if there are no experienced
developers paying attention.

Also, on the subject of renaming things: Calling it zope-devel or
similar may not be ideal, since people who develop with Zope (don't we
all?) assume this is for any developers, not just core developers.
Something like zope-general and zope-coredev may be better.

Martin

--
Acquisition is a jealous mistress