[Zope3-dev] Re: zope.error is a 3.5 egg, but is needed by 3.4.x releases

Martijn Faassen faassen at startifact.com
Sat Oct 6 05:06:17 EDT 2007

Jim Fulton wrote:

> On Oct 5, 2007, at 1:59 PM, Martijn Faassen wrote:
[snip]
>> but moved to a new place. zope.app.error, is, I understand, gone now.
>
> I have no idea about this specific move.  If there was a zope.app.error
> before, then distributions of it should still exist and new
> distributions should be backward compatible.

After we fixed a bunch of errors in them, they're backward compatible,
yes. With deprecation warnings. The code moved to zope.error so
zope.app.error is now empty.

I really don't think going from zope.app.applicationcontrol 3.4 beta
whatever, going to final 3.4.1 suddenly means a whole new package should
appear with new deprecation warnings.

I thought that *never* in the 3.4 line of eggs should they *suddenly*
start relying on 3.5 eggs. That's nothing to do with the notion of a 3.4
release, but with the notion that during the stabilization phase, or
with minor bugfix releases, you don't suddenly start relying on a new
feature release of something else (or in this case, an entirely new
release).

Anyway, I think the rule should be:

"When you do a final or bugfix release of a package, you can't start
requiring a new feature release of another package."

Translated to version numbers:

"If X.Y.x has been relying on A.B.x, X.Y.x + 1 cannot start relying on
A.B + n, only on new A.B.x + n releases, where x is one of (b0, b1, 1,
2, 3, ...) and n is one of (1, 2, 3 ...)"

Regards,

Martijn