[Zope3-dev] Re: zope.error is a 3.5 egg, but is needed by 3.4.x releases

Martijn Faassen faassen at startifact.com
Sat Oct 6 05:12:54 EDT 2007

Fred Drake wrote:
> On 10/6/07, Philipp von Weitershausen <philipp at weitershausen.de> wrote:
>> Yet zope.app.error was split up into zope.error and zope.app.error
>> without releasing a zope.app.error 3.4.0 final first. The split up
>> should have been done entirely in the 3.5.x series, *after* producing
>> stable 3.4.0 releases.
>
> It's all there in Subversion.  Someone who wants a final 3.4.0 release
> is welcome to make one.

That's not a very satisfactory answer for a number of reasons:

* the 3.4.1 release of zope.app.publication, the 3.4.1 release of
zope.app.appsetup, and the 3.4.2 release of zope.app.publication *still*
introduces this new dependency on zope.error 3.4 which never should've
happened in the 3.4 line.

* Concerning it all being there in subversion, the CHANGES.txt in SVN
actually doesn't even mention this massive package refactoring, last I
looked.

* This situation should've been avoided in the first place. Saying it's
all in subversion and for other people to sort out is very weak.

* what are you proposing anyway? We release a zope.error 3.4.0, pulling
it out of our hats all of a sudden? We release zope.app.appsetup 3.4.0
that doesn't need zope.error at all? I can't see a way out of it even
with what's in subversion.

Regards,

Martijn