[Zope3-dev] Re: The elevator speech for Zope 3

Philipp von Weitershausen philipp at weitershausen.de
Mon Oct 8 06:32:17 EDT 2007

Oliver Marx wrote:
> Here is what I told my mother:
>
> Zope 3 is a web development technology that focuses on code reuse,
> automated testing and security.
> - Code reuse: we can do more in less time.
> - Automated testing: Code reuse makes it a much have.
> - And with automated testing we can actually prove that we implemented
> the security model we have agreed with our customers to use.

Yup. Now let's drop the "3" in that sentence, because all of this
applies to Zope software as a whole. This is, in fact, one way to sum up
the way the Zope project as a whole works.

> What I told my mother is much much less important than what I didn't
> tell her. I did not use words like library, server, python, zodb, sql etc.
>
> Who are the people in the audience?
>
> Business people -> yes
> Non-programmers (but still IT) -> maybe
> Programmers (non-python) -> more often that not
> Programmers (python) -> yes
> Zope 3 core developers -> never - already customers
> Zope 2 programmers -> yes
>
> The audience consist of people who will never (or at least very seldom)
> become contributers to the Zope 3 stack!?
>
> Maybe we can learn from the javascript libraries? The first time you
> pick the whole package. Later when you have become more familiar with
> the library you only include the parts that you really need. But that is
> not how you start!

Absolutely.

> Zope 3 should IMO have a "click clack install" version that makes the
> first little app a piece of cake. Add to that a story about flexibility
> and automated testing; then even I would buy it ;)

http://cheeseshop.python.org/pypi/zopeproject is probably the fastest
and easiest way to get started nowadays. One command and you're set up
with a sandbox. If you haven't got Zope 3 downloaded yet, it will do so
as well. It selects a set of libraries that are common in most
applications and installs them by default. You can, of course, get rid
of them later on.

Then of course there's Grok (http://grok.zope.org) which builds on the
Zope Libraries and aims at making it all much easier. It too has a
"click clack install" along the lines of zopeproject; it's called
grokproject. And a while ago, I demonstrated how you could create a
TodoList application in 15 minutes with it:
http://www.archive.org/details/grok_todo_part1. Note that Grok has
evolved a bit since then and adding any kind of ZCML or working with the
ZMI is unnecessary nowadays.