[Zope3-dev] Re: The elevator speech for Zope 3

David Pratt fairwinds at eastlink.ca
Mon Oct 8 09:14:07 EDT 2007

Hi Uwe. I have been thinking of something similar and posted on the list
a couple of weeks back:

http://mail.zope.org/pipermail/zope3-dev/2007-September/023653.html

I want the zcml to be generated with a switch on zc.buildout so all
configuration is auto generated. Currently site.zcml is done this way
and I want to extend this to the class level. Recipe's would be produced
  to handle different types of configuration by providing the decorator
methods.

I'm hoping to use decorators exclusively on the classes to do this so
there would be no need to modify the code in the classes themselves to
accomplish the configuration.  Further, classes without this decoration
would be skipped by the process allowing this approach to be
incorporated into your code gradually. I want to be able to see and
verify the zcml produced and have the same control over it that I have now.

The advantage of having it in buildout is that it becomes integrated
into the development of the application, which is by nature just the
configuration glue for your packages.

Uwe, is there a chance your package can be zpl'd since I believe bebop
is gpl and this is fairly low level code that could be a great plus for
general z3 development. At the very least I'd like a zpl'd package to
handle configuration this way or to borrow from your efforts to move
forward with this idea.

Regards,
David