[Zope3-dev] Re: The elevator speech for Zope 3

David Pratt fairwinds at eastlink.ca
Mon Oct 8 11:49:08 EDT 2007

Hi Philipp. I am strongly attached to packages and software that is
reusable in and out of zope 3. Explicitly defining configuration using
decorators should keep configuration top of mind (which is where I want
to keep it when I develop) and not interfere with reuse goals. Further,
I don't have to write or format xml at all since all interaction with it
would be python.

I believe I understand where you are going with Grok development quite
well. At the same time, I recognize another approach for dealing with
the labor of component registration that could assist the zope 3
developer. Obviously this is not relying on a Grokker for its
configuration magic since you need to be explicit, but this is how I
wish to keep things.

Buildout is a wonderful tool and extending to the class level to write
the xml text that zope needs seems natural for me. I use buildout as my
setup and configuration automation tool for virtually everything from
physical server setup to configuring and building just about all the
software I use at the present time. I don't see it as the wrong place to
automate this task and to save time. Frankly, there is irony in my
configuring software in other languages using buildout but not my own
python packages in zope 3 to the level of the class.

Regards,
David