[Zope3-dev] Re: Zope 3 releases?

Martijn Faassen faassen at startifact.com
Wed Oct 10 07:42:19 EDT 2007

Stephan Richter wrote:
> On Monday 08 October 2007 15:09, Tres Seaver wrote:
>> Presuming agreement on the "known good set" (KGS) term, I would think
>> that we have two candidates for what makes up "platform releases"
>>
>> Frozen Releases
>> ----------------
>
> I started commenting this section until I saw the one below. I personally do
> not see much benefit from the frozen release. That said, it would be trivial
> to create one from the updateable version below. I have already scripts for
> this, which are checked in as part of Jim's PyPI mirror tool.

I don't understand why you believe you couldn't benefit from a frozen
release.

If you don't have a frozen release, you always run the following risk:

* you release your code to someone else (another customer, or another
developer)

* after this, someone uploads a new bugfix release for an egg which
causes your code to break

* the customer, or another developer, installs the code, and it breaks,
where it used to work when you released it.

This risk can never be completely eliminated without frozen releases.

Regards,

Martijn