[Zope3-dev] Re: Better default namechooser

Philipp von Weitershausen philipp at weitershausen.de
Fri Oct 12 04:21:28 EDT 2007

Christian Zagrodnick wrote:
> I constantly run into the fact that the default namechooser in Zope 3 is
> too dumb.
>
> Does anybody object in making it a little more smart? That is:
>
> * replace all non us-ascii and otherwise harmful chars by something
>   useful (base-form or alike)

Why would you want to replace all non-ASCII characters by default? Names
of contained objects can be unicode, and URLs can contain unicode
segments as well (encoded as UTF-8). Having the default namechooser make
the arbitrary decision of disallowing everything that's not ASCII seems
quite arbitrary.

> * replace spaces by - or _

Again, object names may contain spaces. I don't understand why this
should be the *default* policy. If you need this kind of stuff, then I
suggest you write your own namechooser; it's quite trivial.