[Zope3-dev] Re: What does python 3000 mean for zope?

Baiju M mbaiju at zeomega.com
Sat Sep 1 06:30:19 EDT 2007

Philipp von Weitershausen wrote:
>  David Pratt wrote:
> > Hi. I am concerned about the announcement of python 3000 today that
> > will break backwards compatibility. Zope and twisted are my
> > favorite frameworks. The code base for both frameworks are not
> > small. I haven't evaluated the changes but I can say this is a not
> > great day for the python community either. I can see this dividing
> > folks between present and future.
> >
> > Particularly, I'm thinking about incompatibilities developing
> > around packages and dependencies through some sort of drawn out
> > transition by the python community that may take years. Has anyone
> > thoughts or comments about python 3000 implications for zope?
> > Unfortunately, my first thoughts are that Python 3000 feels like
> > Y2K for python :-(. Many thanks.
>
>  We're currently struggling to get to Python 2.5 (which isn't exactly
>  fresh out of the oven) mostly due to incompatibilities that it
>  introduced compared to Python 2.4. So when Guido says Py3k will allow
>  incompatible changes for the "first time", it'll be hard to imagine
>  how big the implications really are. It's especially hard to imagine
>  because Py3k isn't done yet. Will the stdlib be reorganized? Who
>  knows. I sure would like to see this '2to3' tool tackle the Zope
>  codebase. C extensions, anyone?

In fact Python 2.5 porting was not as much difficult as predicted in an
old thread [1].
Nikhil has completed porting to Python 2.5 as part of Google Summer of
Code project [2].
But we cannot officially support Python 2.5 until Zope 2 is also ported.
(This is a policy of Zope Foundation, I guess)
But we can give support for individual packages, is it ?

May be we can try Python 3.0 porting in next GSoC ? :)

[1] http://mail.zope.org/pipermail/zope3-dev/2006-September/020569.html
[2] http://wiki.zope.org/zope3/ModuleImplementationStatus
    http://wiki.zope.org/zope3/Zope3UsingPython25

Regards,