[Zope3-dev] Re: What does python 3000 mean for zope?

Baiju M mbaiju at zeomega.com
Sat Sep 1 07:03:58 EDT 2007

Andreas Jung wrote:
>  --On 1. September 2007 16:00:19 +0530 Baiju M <mbaiju at zeomega.com>
>  wrote:
> > May be we can try Python 3.0 porting in next GSoC ? :)
> >

>  -1 on that. I am pretty sure that this will lead to two different
>  codebases which are hard to maintain over long period of time. We
>  should stick with Python 2.X for the time being. Otherwise we risk
>  compatibility issues with the current deployed Zope installations. We
>  must not jump on every train just because it  stop in front of out
>  door.

I hope your "-1" is for porting to Python 3.0 in next year itself.
May be we should consider it after Python 3.0 final release ?
Otherwise how long will be the "time being" ?

If packages like ZODB, zope.interface & zope.component is
not ported that will be great loss for Python 3.0 programmers.

Regards,
Baiju M