[Zope3-dev] Re: What does python 3000 mean for zope?

Andreas Jung lists at zopyx.com
Sat Sep 1 07:11:18 EDT 2007

--On 1. September 2007 16:33:58 +0530 Baiju M <mbaiju at zeomega.com> wrote:

> Andreas Jung wrote:
>>  --On 1. September 2007 16:00:19 +0530 Baiju M <mbaiju at zeomega.com>
>>  wrote:
>> > May be we can try Python 3.0 porting in next GSoC ? :)
>> >

>>  -1 on that. I am pretty sure that this will lead to two different
>>  codebases which are hard to maintain over long period of time. We
>>  should stick with Python 2.X for the time being. Otherwise we risk
>>  compatibility issues with the current deployed Zope installations. We
>>  must not jump on every train just because it  stop in front of out
>>  door.
>

> I hope your "-1" is for porting to Python 3.0 in next year itself.
> May be we should consider it after Python 3.0 final release ?
> Otherwise how long will be the "time being" ?
>
> If packages like ZODB, zope.interface & zope.component is
> not ported that will be great loss for Python 3.0 programmers.

I am basically speaking here for the Zope 2 world. If we move core
components to Python 3000 we have to move the complete Zope 2 core to
Python 3000 which will cause a huge disaster because of almost every third
party component is likely to break. This is a big risk for the reputation
of Zope.
I currently don't see how a smooth transition would look like. At the end
will have Zope 2 for Python 2.X, Zope 2 for Python 3.X and Zope 3-ish
components for Python 2.X and different components for Python 3.X...appears
as a nightmare to me.

Andreas