[Zope3-dev] Re: What does python 3000 mean for zope?

David Pratt fairwinds at eastlink.ca
Sat Sep 1 09:29:52 EDT 2007

Hi Andreas. Yes, this is where my thoughts were going with this in the
short and medium term. If you extrapolate this to not only zope, but to
other folks that depend upon zope's code base, and to the code zope
depends upon, this is not a good scenario. I am thinking about twisted,
lxml, and many other code bases and packages. Each project will make a
decision of what to do and when - and I think ultimately you will get
into a situation of supporting both 2.X and 3.X users at the same time.
The timing of when one project moves forward will most likely not be
coordinated with other projects.

The ability to use help like the GSoC for making such transitions may
also be held back if there code in other repositories that is not yet
ready. One thing though is certain and encouraging. There is definitely
an advantage with zope's packages and eggs. I'd have to say Jim's
foresight and zope's packaging story will have prepared it well for the
future. I can not imagine what this could look like if the code was
where it was a year or two ago. Despite this, zope is not an island.

But what of the projects that only have in the short term the capability
to go one way or the other due to limited resources. For large projects
and frameworks, it may be possible to maintain a 2.x and a 3.x.
Regardless, it will ultimately require more human resources and
splitting mind share between two sets of consumers. Ultimately, the
folks that will even want to maintain a 2.x code base will quickly erode
  since the forefront of development is never the past. Perhaps it will
all move more quickly for this reason when python 3K is out for real.

Regards,
David