[Zope3-dev] Re: What does python 3000 mean for zope?

Martijn Faassen faassen at startifact.com
Sat Sep 1 15:33:53 EDT 2007

Hey,

A few months ago I voiced concerns about Python 3000 breaking existing
codebases and fracturing the community as a result. Various people in
the community landed on me like a ton of bricks. It wasn't fun.

I think Zope will be on Python 2.x for many years to come. That will
give Zope a marketing disadvantage compared to frameworks that are
perhaps newer and less used and can therefore transition to Python 3
more easily. It will also make us unable to use libraries written anew
on top of Python 3 and updates of libraries upgraded to Python 3. And
vice versa, people on Python 3 will be unable to use Zope code, just as
we're finally getting somewhere with the eggification.

I'm not very positive about this change from the perspective of someone
using the language. From the perspective of a language maintainer I can
see the attraction, and I can also see some aspects of the changes being
beneficial to new and existing developers (and some not; returning
iterators everywhere isn't going to make life easier for instance). That
is, beneficial to developers who don't have actual codebases to maintain.

I am hoping that things aren't as bad as I fear and that a combination
of conversion scripts and a lot of community effort can get us to Python
3. I'm not holding my breath that this will happen any time soon, though.

Regards,

Martijn