[Zope3-dev] Re: What does python 3000 mean for zope?

Andreas Jung lists at zopyx.com
Sun Sep 2 02:18:47 EDT 2007

--On 1. September 2007 16:21:23 -0400 Stephan Richter
<srichter at cosmos.phy.tufts.edu> wrote:

> On Saturday 01 September 2007 15:33, Martijn Faassen wrote:
>> I think Zope will be on Python 2.x for many years to come.
>
> I really hope not. A friend of mine and I want to get a bit involved in
> Python  3000 once it is stable enough that the standard libs can get some
> attention.  At this point I really want to have an initial look at
> porting Zope 3  packages to Python 3. I really hope we can move to Python
> 3 in a reasonable  amount of time.

What are the major benefits from moving to Python 3? The major and most
important change I see in Py3K is the string-as-unicode implementation.
That's a big advantage. However everything else is in some way syntactical
sugar. Py3k still won't run on multiple CPUs, it still uses the GIL...
improvements in this area would be arguments for me to move to Py3K.
Only speaking for my self, I don't see major improvements that would my
daily Python experience significantly.

Andreas