[Zope3-dev] Re: What does python 3000 mean for zope?

Hermann Himmelbauer dusty at qwer.tk
Mon Sep 3 04:54:11 EDT 2007

Am Samstag, 1. September 2007 13:11 schrieb Andreas Jung:
> --On 1. September 2007 16:33:58 +0530 Baiju M <mbaiju at zeomega.com> wrote:
> > Andreas Jung wrote:
> >>  --On 1. September 2007 16:00:19 +0530 Baiju M <mbaiju at zeomega.com>
> >>
> >>  wrote:
> I currently don't see how a smooth transition would look like. At the end
> will have Zope 2 for Python 2.X, Zope 2 for Python 3.X and Zope 3-ish
> components for Python 2.X and different components for Python 3.X...appears
> as a nightmare to me.

I think, at first let's see how Python 3 spreads, how successful it is and how
much developers will switch. Then I assume that there will be a Python 2
version (perhaps 2.6?) that will be backwards compatible and also compatible
to Python 3 in most cases. Then it will be time to make Zope2/3 compatible
with Python 2.6, which may not be that hard after all. After that it will be
possible to slowly migrate from Python 2.6 -> Python 3, without breaking
anything and without splitting Zope 2/3 in a Python 2 and Python 3 version.

I personally don't see this so dramatically, especially because many things
are still unclear in Python 3 and because of the long timescale.

Best Regards,
Hermann

x1 at aon.at
GPG key ID: 299893C7 (on keyservers)
FP: 0124 2584 8809 EF2A DBF9  4902 64B4 D16B 2998 93C7