[Zope3-dev] Re: What does python 3000 mean for zope?

Hermann Himmelbauer dusty at qwer.tk
Mon Sep 3 05:28:01 EDT 2007

Am Sonntag, 2. September 2007 08:18 schrieb Andreas Jung:
> --On 1. September 2007 16:21:23 -0400 Stephan Richter
>
> <srichter at cosmos.phy.tufts.edu> wrote:
> > On Saturday 01 September 2007 15:33, Martijn Faassen wrote:
> >> I think Zope will be on Python 2.x for many years to come.
> >
> > I really hope not. A friend of mine and I want to get a bit involved in
> > Python  3000 once it is stable enough that the standard libs can get some
> > attention.  At this point I really want to have an initial look at
> > porting Zope 3  packages to Python 3. I really hope we can move to Python
> > 3 in a reasonable  amount of time.
>
> What are the major benefits from moving to Python 3? The major and most
> important change I see in Py3K is the string-as-unicode implementation.
> That's a big advantage. However everything else is in some way syntactical
> sugar. Py3k still won't run on multiple CPUs, it still uses the GIL...
> improvements in this area would be arguments for me to move to Py3K.
> Only speaking for my self, I don't see major improvements that would my
> daily Python experience significantly.

I personally have the same impression. The string-as-unicode implementation is
a real advantage, moreover I also like many of the syntactic changes. What I
would like to see, however, is a native implementation of interfaces, which
seems not really to be the case.

Moreover, as you stated above, Python 3 will still use the GIL, which is a
shame, as it's still a "uni-processor language". This should be the #1
problem to be addressed, as multi-processor systems are now coming up so
fast, however, it seems this is postponed to Python 4000. :-(

That's the real problem I see, as in ~ 4 years 8-core systems may be standard
and Python 2/3 will only be capable of using 1/8 of the processing power.

Best Regards,
Hermann

x1 at aon.at
GPG key ID: 299893C7 (on keyservers)
FP: 0124 2584 8809 EF2A DBF9  4902 64B4 D16B 2998 93C7