[Zope3-dev] Re: What does python 3000 mean for zope?

Martijn Faassen faassen at startifact.com
Mon Sep 3 07:35:08 EDT 2007

David Pratt wrote:
> Yes these are all fairly painful scenarios. What's worse is the scenario
> for organizations evaluating zope end user software using python 2. It's
> will not be a great selling feature to start with the premise that
> anything you see today will require major refactoring to give provide a
> measure of 'futureproof' code.
>
> It is also possible that as so long as you are tied to python 2 you may
> be fighting the impression that you are speeding toward obsolescence.
> Regardless, I expect this impression to develop outside the python
> community and formalized as a marketing tool against python
> applications. This will come into play when it is common knowledge that
> P3K is stable and virtually all python technology runs on python 2. I
> can see possible wins here for ruby and java as they will be evaluated
> without this inherent risk.

Agreed with this marketing risk.

Note that Ruby is going through a similar transition right now though -
as far as I understand there are a number of new interpreters (on new
platforms) and compatibility changes in the air. Not sure though.

> Porting will have to come soon; otherwise the risk is loose the ability
> to market zope. Zope is in the fray with other frameworks in python and
> other languages. Not seeing a zope emerging in P3K (as it is evolving)
> is likely going to mean a challenging sell for anyone getting involved
> with the framework (whether you are a developer or consumer). Consumers
> need to know their data will survive this potential (think about all
> those pickles).

Porting will be a huge cost to the community and I'm not sure the gain
outweighs the damage such an effort will inevitably cause.

[snip]
> P3K has the potential to disrupt zope and its marketing unless there is
> a means of handling this through planning (with stakeholders whose code
> is used in zope). The similarity of P3K to Y2K gives me some doubt that
> the branding 'Python 3000' will be seen as the best. I likely won't be
> the last to draw this similarity and the potential for P3K to put major
> python projects like zope in turmoil for years.

Yes, it sucks, doesn't it? When I pointed something like this out to
Guido he got very upset with me, as he felt I was implying he hadn't
thought the thing through enough. :)

Another approach is the "Ignore until it goes away" approach. Perhaps
with developments like Jython, IronPython and PyPy, plus the existing
infrastructure, the Python 2 community will be a stronger bet than
Python 3. The language developers will decide just in time to give up
Python 3. :) I consider this unlikely - the language developers are
determined do to this, and changing Python fulfills the needs of *their*
open source community, which is to develop and improve the language.

Mainly when thinking about Python 3 I just get somewhat depressed as
there really doesn't seem to be a very good way forward in this, unless,
again, a 2to3 conversion script works better than I expect, or someone
hacks up a joint interpreter which can run both Python 2 and Python 3
code simultaneously. The core developers are not planning on such and
it'd be an non-trivial effort, though.

Regards,

Martijn