[Zope3-dev] Re: RFC: Known working sets

Tres Seaver tseaver at palladion.com
Thu Sep 6 11:29:11 EDT 2007

Jim Fulton wrote:

>>> We're talking more about a general pattern in zc.buildout. The
>>> deficiencies of using setup.py for this alone are described well
>>> in the original proposal.
>> Yup, and this was the reason for my original question to Jim: why
>> do something in zc.buildout rather than fixing the problems with
>> setuptools?
>
> Because neither the problem nor the fix are well understood, imo, and
> setuptools is already too complicated.
>
> Perhaps the same could be said about buildout, but no new buildout
> features are needed to experiment with the issue at this point.

If we treat the "subset" as a catalog-side problem, then we don't need
to change setuptools either:  we can just use 'index-url' to point at
the root of the subset.  Perhaps PyPI can be extended to allow "tag
clouds", with sub-pages which select only packages / releases matching a
given tag.

E.g., I just created a small "subset" page to test this out:

 $ bin/easy_install --index-url=http://palladion.com/static/kgtest/ \
   zope.testing
 Searching for zope.testing
 Reading http://palladion.com/static/kgtest/zope.testing/
 Reading http://palladion.com/static/kgtest/zope.testing/3.4
 Reading http://palladion.com/static/kgtest/zope.testing/3.0
 Best match: zope.testing 3.4
 Downloading \

http://pypi.python.org/packages/source/z/zope.testing/zope.testing-3.4.tar.gz#md5=5dbfed50da0169daff042da56f9bc439
 Processing zope.testing-3.4.tar.gz
 Running zope.testing-3.4/setup.py -q bdist_egg --dist-dir \
   /tmp/easy_install-kef7dg/zope.testing-3.4/egg-dist-tmp-EctfIO
 Adding zope.testing 3.4 to easy-install.pth file

 Installed \

/home/tseaver/tmp/foo/lib/python2.4/site-packages/zope.testing-3.4-py2.4.egg
 Processing dependencies for zope.testing
 Finished processing dependencies for zope.testing

Another alternative would be to maintain the "subset" pages in SVN
(perhaps with utilities for generating them from a manifest).

Tres.
- --
Tres Seaver          +1 540-429-0999          tseaver at palladion.com