[Zope3-dev] Re: What does python 3000 mean for zope?

Martijn Faassen faassen at startifact.com
Tue Sep 11 04:29:05 EDT 2007

Martin Aspeli wrote:
> Lennart Regebro wrote:
>
>> I'm hoping that Guido will see the errors of his ways, and introduce a
>> Python 2.7 that has more forwards compatibility than what has been
>> promised for 2.6, so that there can be a useable overlap between
>> Python 2.7 and 3.0. Maybe a 3.1 with some more backwards compatibility
>> will be needed to, I don't know.
>
> DISCLAIMER: I'm not very close to the core Python/language community,
> nor have I paid much attention to Py3K.
>
> Has there been a strong statement that there won't be a Python 2.7 and
> beyond? Will Python 2.x be actively killed off?

When I told Guido we still have a Zope 2 and a Zope 3, he said we should
avoid this situation with Python. There may be a Python 2.7. Beyond, the
intent is not to have one. The idea is to create sufficient carrots for
Python 3 so that people will flock over. I think this will be combined
with a lot of promotion which will probably also involve statements to
make Python 2.x seem like a bad place (old-fashioned).

> In the discussion on Python 2.x and 3.x compatibility, substitute the
> word "Zope" for "Python" and think of the irony.

I told Guido about the Zope experience. He dismissed this instantly
saying Python isn't at all like Zope. I hope he's right.

Regards,

Martijn