[Zope3-dev] Re: What does python 3000 mean for zope?

David Pratt fairwinds at eastlink.ca
Wed Sep 12 12:46:57 EDT 2007

Hi Martijn. I think a tool to assess the impact on each project is
necessary. A risk assessment of some type could realistically quantify,
identify imported code, estimate of the size of the community depending
upon the sources, provide rough conversion estimates, and also identify
alternatives to P3K. Risk assessments for the frameworks teams (willing
to conduct an assessment) can be put together with a general impact
statement from the framework and library project leaders and presented
to the python team. Efforts should be coordinated with deadlines.

A statement of general impacts could include those anticipated by the
communities being served by sources, and include general impacts
assessed on future marketing and consumption of what will soon become
legacy code. It should also include an answer to why porting to P3K will
be different that previous porting scenarios. The effort should include
the formulation of recommendations to the python team. The objective is
not to restrict the effort of the python team, but to assist the team in
guiding their decisions. It is more difficult to dismiss facts and figures.

Before proceeding with anything, the perspective from our own project
leadership needs to be communicated and clarified. I have not yet heard
anything from Jim or Zope Corporation on whether there may already be a
plan of sorts to address P3K. I'm only willing to become involved on the
basis there is consensus from our own project and that the effort is
supported.

I would recommend the Zope Foundation meet on this soon to at least
build consensus and agreement on how this effort should be handled.
Consultation with the Plone Foundation would go a long way in
establishing their buy-in to this process. I believe a general statement
should be communicated back to the zope lists in the form of an
announcement when an assessment/coordination strategy has been
determined. It ought to convey the action that will be taken to assess
the impact and the efforts that will be made to coordinate with other
projects to meet the future python release. This should give folks a
sense that something is being done to work together cooperatively with
our communities and the python team to address change. If there is
consensus, I'd recommend the ZF appoint at least one key Board member to
direct and to be accountable for these efforts. This will be a critical
junction in zope's history. I am not a ZF member but am prepared to
assist with this effort together with other interested folks.

Regards,
David