[Zope3-dev] Re: What does python 3000 mean for zope?

Jim Fulton jim at zope.com
Thu Sep 13 14:13:26 EDT 2007

On Sep 11, 2007, at 10:28 AM, David Pratt wrote:

> I was hoping Jim might respond to this thread since I am certain
> there is concern about what this means for the future of Zope. I am
> hoping that core communities of python framework developers may
> come together on what is in their best interests.

OK, here's my opinion.  I am not speaking for ZC.  I don't think we
should worry until Python 3 is much farther along.  I agree with
those who think that it will be hard to move to Python 3.  Put
another way, I think the benefit won't be worth the effort.  My
suspicion is that this will be true for *lots* of projects.  I expect
Python 2 to be with us for a long time. This is just a wild guess.  A
lot can change in a year or 2.  I think our official position should
be that Zope is a Python 2 application and we'll evaluate
opportunities to leverage Python 3 over time as they present themselves.

I'm not going to reply to any replies to this post as I don't intend
to spend any more time on this issue myself.

CTO 				(540) 361-1714			http://www.python.org