[Zope3-dev] z3c.widget not on pypi?

Wichert Akkerman wichert at wiggy.net
Tue Sep 18 18:06:43 EDT 2007

Jodok Batlogg wrote:

> On 18.09.2007, at 23:29, Wichert Akkerman wrote:
>
>> I noticed that z3c.widget has a tagged release on svn but there is no
>> cheeseshop entry for it. Is that on purpose? It would be practical to
>> have it registered there.
>
> you bring up an interesting point...
>
> the current practice (at least here at lovely systems, and presumably
> a lot of other developers) is to add download.zope.org/distribution
> (or a mirror of it) to your find-links.
> recently some people started registering packages (and uploading eggs
> ) to cheeseshop. this makes totally sense for zc.buildout,
> lovely.buildouthttp,... but i'm not sure about zope packages.
> because of this mix you might end up in getting the wrong egg. or not
> finding a egg you downloaded a few days ago. in case pypi is down
> you're totally stuck.
>
> well, i understand that the stability of pypi is much better lately
> and the simple interface, the and ppix mirrors  make the index lookup
> much faster as well.
> but for me there are still two remaining issues:
> - the eggs are hosted on cheesehop as well, it's not easy
> (commandline) to host the egg externally or to specify a mirror to use
> when pulling the eggs. that's not acceptable for production deployments.
You can upload to both the cheeseshop and another place you list in
find-links and one will act as a fall-back for the others. Since
uploading to the cheeseshop is so trivial that should be little to no
extra effort.
> - by default "setup.py sdist bdist_egg register upload" hides the old
> releases, which is not acceptable as we nail all versions for
> deployments. if someone releases a new version, the older ones
> disappear and buildout (with nailed versions) stops and complains not
> finding the egg.
That's not true, is it? If I remember correctly it is only hidden from
the user-friendly web interface. The simple index as used by buildout
and setuptools stills sees the older versions.

Wichert.

--
Wichert Akkerman <wichert at wiggy.net>   It is simple to make things.
http://www.wiggy.net/                  It is hard to make things simple.