[Zope3-dev] Re: z3c.widget not on pypi?

Jodok Batlogg jodok at lovelysystems.com
Tue Sep 18 18:46:21 EDT 2007

On 19.09.2007, at 00:32, Philipp von Weitershausen wrote:

> Jodok Batlogg wrote:
>> the current practice (at least here at lovely systems, and
>> presumably a lot of other developers) is to add download.zope.org/
>> distribution (or a mirror of it) to your find-links.
>> recently some people started registering packages (and uploading
>> eggs ) to cheeseshop. this makes totally sense for zc.buildout,
>> lovely.buildouthttp,... but i'm not sure about zope packages.
>
> We're certainly uploading a lot of Zope3's own eggs to PyPI *IF*
>
> - they have a decent description and long_description
> - they have decent metadata otherwise (Trove classifiers, changelog)
> - they're actual stable releases
>
> When packages fulfil these criteria, then I think it's very good to
> have them on PyPI: they're a great way to make them discoverable
> for other developers, Zope and non-Zope. For example, I can browse
> the 'Zope3' framework category and find a lot of Zope3-related
> software now. I wish more software were aptly classified with this
> Trove classifier so I could find more (all!) Zope3 software tehre.

i just uploaded the z3c.widget 1.0.6 egg and am trying the use-cases
below.

>> because of this mix you might end up in getting the wrong egg. or
>> not finding a egg you downloaded a few days ago. in case pypi is
>> down you're totally stuck.
>
> You're stuck either way, even if you'd be using download.zope.org/
> distribution. The key is to mirror the PyPI simple index. That's
> what ppix (or actually it's success zc.mirrorpypislashsimple) is
> all about.
>
> This is a non-issue I think.

o.k. fine, you're actually right.
i'm wondering why i couldn't fine  zope.app.wsgi = 3.4.0b1dev_r75415
after 3.4.0 was released a few days ago.
probably someone in [philikon, ctheune, J1m, baijum] removed the egg?
we nailed the version to 3.4.0b1dev_r75415 (and i have still this egg
in my cache), but it disappeared from the rest of the world.
this should never happen for released eggs, they should be considered
read-only imho.
sorry for blaming pypi/setuptools for this :)

>> well, i understand that the stability of pypi is much better
>> lately and the simple interface, the and ppix mirrors  make the
>> index lookup much faster as well.
>> but for me there are still two remaining issues:
>> - the eggs are hosted on cheesehop as well, it's not easy
>> (commandline) to host the egg externally or to specify a mirror to
>> use when pulling the eggs. that's not acceptable for production
>> deployments.
>
> I think it's really easy. Just use Jim's mirror software and point
> buildout to that different index. That's one line in buildout.cfg.
>
> Again, seems like a non-issue.

i'm not talking about the index, i mean the actual download. http://
download.zope.org/ppix/z3c.widget/ still points to pypi.python.org
is there a way to change this? mirror it?

>> - by default "setup.py sdist bdist_egg register upload" hides the
>> old releases, which is not acceptable as we nail all versions for
>> deployments. if someone releases a new version, the older ones
>> disappear and buildout (with nailed versions) stops and complains
>> not finding the egg.
>
> It doesnt' disappear from the simple index. It just disappears from
> the "human" index, which I think is a good idea. It doesn't make
> sense to show people a billion releases. setuptools and zc.buildout
> (which both nowadays use the simple index) will obviously need to
> know about the odl releases.
>
> This is a non-issue :).
agree

>> before we don't have a solution for the two points above i have
>> objections to register the packages on pypi and prefer to add
>> download.zope.org/distribution to my find-links.
>> if there is an easy solution for it, enlighten me :)
>
> Human discoverability is *very* important. If you have doubts about
> depending on PyPI, fine. I won't mind a backup location (though I
> hate download.zope.org/distribution. It has piled up so many crappy
> eggs by now with no way of deleting them...).
>
> But please don't take the human discoverability away from it all. I
> thikn that's what PyPI is great for. Provided you actually make it
> worthwhile and have meaningful package metadata in setup.py.
>
> Bis morgen :)
bis morgen :)

jodok

--
"Explicit is better than implicit."
   -- The Zen of Python, by Tim Peters

Jodok Batlogg, Lovely Systems
Schmelzhütterstraße 26a, 6850 Dornbirn, Austria
phone: +43 5572 908060, fax: +43 5572 908060-77