AW: [Zope3-dev] Proposal, free views

Roger Ineichen dev at projekt01.ch
Sun Sep 23 14:57:52 EDT 2007

Hi Lennart

> Cc: Adam Groszer; zope3-dev at zope.org; srichter at projekt01.ch
> Betreff: Re: [Zope3-dev] Proposal, free views
>
> On 9/23/07, Roger Ineichen <dev at projekt01.ch> wrote:
> > Heads up,
> >
> > Please review this proposal.
>
> OK. I have to admit that I don't fully understand it.
>
> > This proposal describes a way to make the usage of such
> built in views optional.
>
> "Such built in views" means what? "Optional" how? And why?

I mean with built in views just views which comes within a
package. Such view component are located in the browser folder
and built on the BrowserPage classes. I guess the term views
is common for that and should be well known.

> "The additional component.zcml could be used to include only
> component related configuration whitout the view parts
> defined in the browser.zcml. Because the browser.zcml get's
> included from the configure.zcml but not from the component.zcml"
>
> OK, I understand what you want to do: Start the practice of
> having views in one zcml and components in another, so you
> can include only the component one if so desired. I don't
> understand why, though.
>
> "Right now it's not possible to use another layout pattern
> without to support zmi_views and zmi_action and it's menut
> item pattern. The views defined in all packages also require
> the use-macro, fill-slot pattern which is not what we allways
> whant. Right now there is no option to get rid of this
> patterns except to duplicate packages and replace existing views."
>
> That's what you will have to do anyway. Because if you don't
> include the views, you will have to replace them in another
> package. And you can override them in another package already...

Yes, this is what we like to do. We like to write 3rd party
packages. But the problem is, this views are using templates which
we don't support, e.g. use-macro, fill-slot etc. Also the
configure.zcml file registers menu items for zmi_views and
zmi_action which is does not exist in our setup.

I guess it should be possible to use Zope3 without the need
of zmi_views and zmi_action menu items Whih is not the case
right now. See all the ftesting.zcml files in the different
egg packages.

Pobabbly the proposal should be simpler and propose.

"Get rid of zmi_views, zmi_actions, StandardMacros and
hardcoded template relations in views"

Regards
Roger Ineichen