[Zope3-dev] Re: AW: Proposal, free views

Martin Aspeli optilude at gmx.net
Sun Sep 23 19:22:01 EDT 2007

Roger Ineichen wrote:

>> * Simply *ignore* that they exist. Zope actually has
>> facilities for doing this on a technical basis. Simply don't
>> inherit your skin from IDefaultBrowserLayer, and voila, you
>> won't get any pre-configured views at all.
>
> I can't have unused code in our codebase. We have swiss banks
> as customers and can't pass their security assesment with such
> a setup. Belive me, it's not easy to fit their needs.
>
>> * If you're interested in replacing a few select views with
>> your own implementations, you can use ZCML overrides. Or use
>> layers (which is a similar solution to the previous one).
>
> Same here, we can't have unused code in our codebase. This will
> increase the security assesment and I don't like to write more
> documentation for them.

I assume you mean you can't have any unused component active/registered.
The code is still going to be there, unless you fork Zope 3 and remove
the files you don't need, in which case this proposal isn't going to
help you much anyway.

I think it makes sense to introduce a pattern that makes it easier
choose which components you need. However, if I understand you correctly
(and I second Philipp here - the proposal is confusing as it's worded
now), you're talking about refactoring the ZCML of every package that
uses browser components. I understand there's full backwards
compatibility (via includes into the root configure.zcml), but it's
still a slightly risky and time-consuming dance.

Martin

--
Acquisition is a jealous mistress