[Zope3-dev] Re: Proposal, free views

Christian Theune ct at gocept.com
Mon Sep 24 02:14:34 EDT 2007

Hi,

Am Sonntag, den 23.09.2007, 23:52 +0200 schrieb Philipp von
Weitershausen:
> I understand the motivation. But I don't agree with the solution. I've
> you're not ok with the existing views, then you currently have two options
>
> * Simply *ignore* that they exist. Zope actually has facilities for
> doing this on a technical basis. Simply don't inherit your skin from
> IDefaultBrowserLayer, and voila, you won't get any pre-configured views
> at all.
>
> * If you're interested in replacing a few select views with your own
> implementations, you can use ZCML overrides. Or use layers (which is a
> similar solution to the previous one).
>

> That said, I do wish there was a way to specifically disable ZCML
> directives. We've been talking about this for a long time, actually. I
> think the biggest use case is for disabling event handlers. But
> naturally it could be used to disable other things, too.
>
> So, if the two options I gave above won't work for you, I think we
> should rather look into making it possible to disable certain ZCML
> directives, or even disable the execution of certain ZCML files altogether.

I agree with what Philipp said. The disabling machinery is something
that was talked about for a while already and would fit more people's
needs.

Jim already wrote a proposal for this a while ago:
http://wiki.zope.org/zope3/ZCMLFilteringSupport

Christian

--
gocept gmbh & co. kg - forsterstrasse 29 - 06112 halle/saale - germany