[Zope3-dev] AW: Proposal, free views

Jim Fulton jim at zope.com
Tue Sep 25 13:13:25 EDT 2007

On Sep 25, 2007, at 12:49 PM, Philipp von Weitershausen wrote:
> Note that I've seen checkins that add deprecation warnings. Even
> worse, they're talking about removing stuff in the future. I
> thought we had reached the consensus that we weren't going to
> remove stuff anymore. In other words, that we were never ever going
> to break backwards-compatibility again.
>
> I think we should just not raise any deprecation warnings at all.
> Just the imports for BBB and be done with it.

We said we would only break backward compatibility under dire
circumstances. :)

I think that deprecation warnings are fine to let people know "This
isn't the way you should be doing this. That other way is better."
It helps people use packages according to the state of the art, which
will continue to evolve and it will make developers feel better,
which is worth something. :)

Also, if we ever *do* need to make a backward-incompatible change to
a package, we'll have some license to clean up rotten apis.

Jim Fulton
Zope Corporation