[Zope3-dev] Automated egg releases

Jim Fulton jim at zope.com
Wed Sep 26 09:53:24 EDT 2007

I'm not too keen on trying to automate this with a Python script.  I
suggest we start with a human script.  I think Philipp has a start at
this.  Philipp, could you remind
us where this is?  I suggest we review it and then post it
prominately somewhere that people (I) can easily find it.  I, for
one, promise to read it every time I make a release until I've
memorized it.

Jim

On Sep 26, 2007, at 9:13 AM, Marius Gedminas wrote:

> People make mistakes.  Can we reduce the number/severity of those
> mistakes by creating a Python script to automate the release
> process as
> much as possible?  Things like:
>
>   - check that the version number in setup.py doesn't match an
> existing
>     release in cheeseshop
>
>   - check whether you have modified but not committed (or unversioned)
>     files in the source tree
>
>   - check that you've created a tag in subversion for this release
> (or,
>     alternatively, offer to create the tag for you)
>
>   - build an egg, install it locally in a temporary directory, then
> run
>     the test suite to check for any missing files or whatever
>
>         (a somewhat related idea would be to set up a buildbot to
> check
>         for new zope-related egg releases and run their test suite
> in a
>         sandbox, to notice breakages and email the guilty parties)
>
>   - run the correct setup.py command to build/register/upload the
> egg to
>     cheeseshop and/or www.zope.org
>
> I'd be happy to work on such a script during the sprint, if someone
> could help me figure out what exactly it should to do.
>
> Marius Gedminas
> --
> If something has not yet gone wrong then it would ultimately have been
> beneficial for it to go wrong.

Jim Fulton
Zope Corporation